Spring is almost here! Do you have plans to re-landscape? If so, will you be Florida-Friendly?
Believe it or not, the number one use of our municipal water supplies is the irrigation of lawns and landscaping.
Why is this problematic? The over use of municipal H2O directly affects the aquifer, which is the source of our drinking water. The aquifer also supports our natural springs and a variety of eco systems. Not to mention, the fertilizers and pesticides we use to make our lawns look great, negatively impacts our lakes, bays and rivers.
How can we be better?
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences developed the Florida Friendly Landscaping Program,which promotes 9 principles to preserve and protect our natural water resources.
1. Right Plant, Right Place- Choose plants that can survive our Florida heat with minimum need for water, pesticide or fertilizer.
2. Water Efficiently- Only water when your lawn really needs it.
3. Fertilize Appropriately- Less is best.
4. Mulch- Two-Three inches of mulch will help retain moisture and reduce weeds.
5. Attract Wildlife- Think butterfly plants.
6. Manage Yard Pests Responsibly- Choose pesticides wisely and the more natural the better.
7. Recycle- Composted grass clippings and yard trimmings provide nutrients to the soil and reduce waste.
8. Reduce Stormwater Runoff- Doing so will reduce pollutants into our bay.
9. Protect the Waterfront- Waterfront property is fragile. Protecting it will help to maintain freshwater and marine ecosystems.
There are terrific recources out there to help all of us be more Florida- Friendly this year. And, I personally can’t wait to see Davis Islands look better than ever!
The day to celebrate love is quickly approaching and whether you are single, married, dating or have a menagerie of kids and pets, there is something for everyone on this special day.
Treat yourself or someone else and enjoy February 14! We contacted local DI businesses to find out if they were doing something special for Valentine’s Day this year. The following businesses have something unique to offer: